Monday, April 29, 2013

Mixed Emotions About Today

I have today off, and so do the boys.  John had Friday off.  Sound good to you?  Well, I'd rather be teaching.  I would rather have my boys in their classes, but instead we are home.  Today is a "Budget Reduction Day" for Beaverton School District, while Friday St. Helens School District had one.  Beaverton had four Budget Reduction Days this school year with another five for next.  St. Helens School District had eight this year.  No matter what you call it, our family pays dearly for these days off, both financially and in terms of a shortened school year when Jack can use every possible day to help him succeed during his all important Junior Year.

This past year has been a difficult year to teach.  Each day I walk into my school and see the impact of the budget cuts.  We have shouldered cuts for the past five years and it has taken it's toll.  The result is one less administrator in the building, ten less teachers, no librarian, the elimination of some elective classes, one less PE teacher, one less counselor and of course a smaller building budget to buy needed supplies.  This creates an environment where we all put on our best face with the students but shoulder the responsibility of caring for and teaching more students than ever.  Recently we found out about the proposed cuts if the Levy doesn't pass in Beaverton and it sucked the air right out of the room.  Seriously.  The loss of two more teachers and the elimination of our Intervention classes (which target students at risk in reading and math).  You could hear a pin drop.

So here we are at the end of April and I struggle with how I feel about today.  Granted, it is a day off - but it is a Monday and I should be teaching.  My boys should be sitting at their desks.  My students should have access to the supports listed in the IEPs.  So why are we all sitting at home?  To balance a budget.  A school budget that has been cut by $140 million over the past five years in Beaverton.  This must stop, we cannot go on like this anymore.

In a couple of weeks, we have the opportunity to express how we want to respond to this situation.  The proposed levy for the May 21st will restore up to 150 teachers district wide, which will come down to 2-3 more teachers per building next year.  It doesn't replace all that has been cut, but it prevents further cuts and restores a few more teachers, reducing class sizes.  If there is any doubt in your mind about this levy, come visit my classroom.  I will show you first hand how the past five years of budget cuts have impacted my classroom and my school.

So my emotions are mixed about sitting at home today.  Maybe it will serve as a grave reminder to all voters in Beaverton that we cannot afford another school year with less instructional time, fewer teachers, and larger class sizes.  If that is the case, then I am glad something positive will come out of today.  I hope our community rallies around the school and sends a strong message that we value education and know the impact it has on our children, our future.  I hope today is a reminder that we need to pass the Beaverton Levy in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment